The European Foundation of Human Rights (EFHR), which protects human rights in Lithuania, started monitoring the internet a few months ago. The Foundation pays special attention to the commentaries violating the law. As a result, the Prosecution General of the Republic of Lithuania receives motions calling for conducting evidential investigations. EFHR has put forward 28 motions, all of them received replies.
- 18 motions were passed on to proper prosecutors’ offices; evidential investigations were started
- 8 motions were rejected, but the appeals have been made
- 1 motion was suspended for an unknown reason
- 1 motion was added to the evidential investigation that had already been in progress (the case of the nationalistic song by “Diktatūra” band)
The European Foundation of Human Rights has received a letter informing that the authors of the commentaries which contravene article 5, Criminal Code of the Republic of Lithuania, have been found. They will appear before a court. They might be subjected to a fine, restricted of liberty, placed under arrest, or imprisoned for up to 3 years.
- filing other motions for prosecution – in progress
Please, do inform us about similar cases of human rights violation.
The European Foundation of Human Rights